Monday, February 4, 2013

Wilderness I


Rain on my window sounds like fat snowflakes
Smacking a blue tarp

The sky stretches towards freedom in every direction
Including down

How do I capture the feeling of being a free prisoner?
Walking across entire worlds before I may sleep

Today I carry water
Tomorrow I will dig a fire pit
only to cover it up and move on
again

Would you believe me if I said this blizzard
was the warmest I’ve felt in months?

I am freezing and sodden and being buried alive
The ice rises up to meet the snow pressing down
Will my shelter hold tonight?

Silent echoes might be the ghosts of wind
Passing through this worn canyon

I stopped dreaming of home
after the sky filled with shooting stars
and I couldn’t remember what it was
to not make flame between my hands

Space and solitude and silence
The only barrier between the heavens and me
Is the snow

No comments:

Post a Comment